Thursday, October 9, 2008

October 9th

It has been a whole year since we first saw sweet Abby Grace's beautiful face. It was a normal day, a day like any other but I had a feeling that it was our turn. I went to work knowing that referrals had been received and some calls had already been made. But I knew in my heart and soul that our daughter was in this batch. We'd waited through 3 prior batches and I just knew his was our time. Now, usually I had my phone with me at work and checked it all of the time. This day just seemed different. I sat with my students all day long doing the normal things and not checking my phone as much. We watched a video about bears and I wrote a note to AG on the back of it. (Yes I know I am the teacher and I wasn't paying attention but I had seen the video before.) I had recess duty and out of the blue or boredom I wrote the word "Hope" on the back of my ID badge. The school day ended and I had car rider duty. I went to check my box after the last student was picked up and I had a message to call AWAA. I knew this was it! I called Sean and asked him if he wanted me to wait to call until he could make it to school, he told me to call immediately. I walked rather slowly not to mention shaking and already teary-eyed to the teacher's lounge and dialed the number. I'll never forget the words, "We have a file of a little girl almost 2 with a VSD and bi-lateral CL/CP we'd like to offer to you for review." Offer me, are you kidding?? I knew before making the call that this was our daughter, we had left it all in God's hands. We knew what ever child we were referred we'd take. He had already pre-destined her to be our and would give us the child he had already chosen. I got a bit more about her and struggled to write down as much as I could through sobby tears. My friend Beverly walked by and peeked into the lounge. She saw me crying and was afraid something was wrong. Through tears I told her about our daughter. She sat there with me while I got more info and then walked with me back to my room. Along the way several teachers asked if I was ok, OK??? I was great I had just found out we got a daughter!!! So there I waited for what seems like an eternity for a first glimpse of that sweet little face and for Sean to show up. Beverly left my room once Sean got there and together he and I opened the e-mail. We both cried as we studied every detail of her sweet little face and expressive eyes. My mom picked V up for me and brought her to school. She walked in and asked what I was doing and I said, "I'm looking at your sister!" She instantly got it and began to sob. She finally got to see her little sister, the little girl she had prayed so hard for. As I think back on that day I am so amazed that God chose us to be Liang Wan Jian's family. I remember being bummed when we did not get a call in the previous batches but now I know why. Abby Grace is perfect for our family. I cannot imagine any other child being our daughter.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Still amazed that we got our Pingliang sweeties TOGETHER!!!
Do you have a surgery date yet?

LOVE YOU ABBY GRACE!!! Your pal, Hudson!

Cindi Campbell said...

I still remember the day I found out Abby (Ava as we knew her from AAC adoption ) had a family. Tears were running down my face as I looked at her pictures on your website (ones that I had also looked at a hundred times)and thanking God for your family and His faithfulness and believing that "all things work together for good to those who are called for His Glory" Our God is a mighty God and He does indeed reign in our lives.
Cindi Campbell

Wife of the Pres. said...

Very well said Jenn! I could not agree more with what you said. I have to tell you that I have no doubt that God used your journey to AG to prepare my heart for receiving news of our Susannah. I distinctly remember feeling that our S would have CL/CP and Charlie felt strongly that it would be her heart. I even said one time well maybe it will be both as I know another AWAA family whose daughter had both. I also remember thinking as you endured the operation right after coming home that I could never be strong enough. But God knows and He gives us what we need when we need it. PLEASE thank AG for praying for Zannah! I have been trying to show her all her bloggly AWAA friends, but she is not real interested in the computer yet. I'm praying we can all meet in person one day soon!
Les

lisa said...

Hey Jenn,
Well said dear sister. Abby Grace is a perfect fit for your family and she WAS PREDESTINED for you all! I love that little girl! Her nature and countenance are so precious. So glad we got to be there when you met her for the first time. Our journey to Andrew would not have been the same without you and the T's. God bless you all!
Love,
Lisa, Kevin and Andrew