Monday, March 31, 2008

We've got Abby Grace




GOTCHA DAY RECAP:
Last night the moment we have been waiting so long for finally happened, Abbby Grace Liang Mitchell was finally placed in our arms. After a not so long flight from Beijing we took an hour ride to the city of Lanzhou, the capital of GanSu province. We had about 30 minutes from the time we got to the hotel until the time we met Abby Grace. We immediately spotted her from across the room. The director told V to come sit by them, which she happily did. They touched hands and I lost it. Finally my 2 girls were together. We signed some paperwork and showed our passports to Mrs. Yang and then she was passed on to me. She screamed!!! She was not a very happy little girl at all. She was also much smaller than we had been told. We said goodbye to her nanny and V and I took her back to our room while Sean worked on some more paperwork. V and I undressed her from her 3 layers of clothing and she eventually settled down after I gave her some water to drink. I tried a sippy cup and a bottle but ended up pouring it into her mouth from a water bottle. She was so small once we undressed her. Her coat she had on was a 9-12 months and her outer shirt was a 18 months. Luckily I packed 2 18 months outfits but I may have to buy a few things to make it through until we get home. She ended up falling asleep around 10 PM and slept pretty good until 6:30 AM.

TODAY:
Today Abby Grace woke up a different little girl. She has been so happy all day even smiling and giggling. She and Hudson are so cute together. While we were at the civil affairs office, along with about 25 other families, they played happily together. The director of the SWI told us that their cribs were right next to one another and they were always together. She gave us a book with lots of pictures of her and in most of them she is with Hudson. They have such a tight bond. They will share things with one another but not with any other children. Hudson even put puffs in Abby race's mouth for her. It was so sweet. Luckily we'll be with the Teagues until Chicago.
Abby Grace has really warned up to both Sean and I. She like V but is a little leary of her sometimes. I am sure as she grown more comfortable with us she'll grow closer to V. It is so wonderful to see the two of them together!!!

Pictures:
I am attaching a few so enjoy!! I'll post more later.

7 comments:

Michelle Ward said...

Jennifer,
Finally the big day came! WOO HOO. I am so happy for you all. She is just so adorable. I am not surprised she is smaller than you thought. I think just about all the babies usually are. You can get clothes cheap there, so stock up and get some shoes too. They are so much cheaper in China. I can't wait to see more pictures and I am so glad you are all doing ok. She will warm up to all of you. Just think of all the changes she is going through. She just needs time and lots of love and TLC from you all. You will be surprised how they blossom with love and one on one attention. I am tearful just reading your blog. It brings back happy memories of our trip. God bless, and give Abby a kiss for us. Love The Wards

Michele and Dan said...

Couldn't wait to see this entry. I'm actually up at my mom's, but had to check in to see the "Gotcha Day" blog! Congratulations!!We are so happy for you!
Blessings!
Michele B. in GA
bringingjackhome.blogspot.com

ForTheLoveOfOrphans said...

Congratulations Mitchell family! Finally, Abby Grace is where she is supposed to be! I can't wait to see more photos of her. What a blessing to be traveling with her friend, too.
I'll be praying for you as you now begin your official bonding time.
Love, Angie H

Karen said...

Oh Jennifer, I am so happy for all of you! Abby Grace is beautiful! I am looking forward to meeting her in person. Enjoy the special time with her in China!

--Karen

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mrs. Barnes first graders said...

Mrs. Barnes's first graders were so excited to see Jacob's new sister! Especially Jacob! We are keeping you in our daily prayers here at school! We all look forward to seeing her in person!

R. Chan said...

Jennifer,
I am so happy for you and God's little angel, Abby Grace. My eyes are swimming in tears. Can't wait to see her in person. May God grant you a safe return home.
Love,
Rachel