Tuesday, July 27, 2010

103.3

Way to high for an ox sat and way to high for a fever too but that was the case last night!


Abby had a great Monday even walking to the elevators and playroom. She ate wonderfully, colored, painted, played doll house and then it hit. We got our vitals done around 10 or so and she was HOT!! Nurse Tara and Ms. Mary immediately called in the resident. They took her chest bandages off and looked at her chest. It was a bit red but nothing too alarming. They went ahead and drew blood and sent it off for a culture, ordered an x-ray and gave her some antibiotics. A little after midnight we finally drifted off to sleep.
This morning she woke up in a "Crabby Abby." Did not want to eat any breakfast at all. Unfortunately since we had a fever last night we could not leave the room to go to the playroom. So we spent the morning in here coloring and watching movies. After lunch Dr. Bradley and Mrs. Cathy signed off on getting her mid-line tube out and neck line out. That was rough but once they were out she was thrilled.


,

2 volunteers named Sam & Summer stopped by to pamper her a bit by painting her toe nails beautiful bright pink. She loved them so much they left her the bottle and I later painted her fingers, my fingers and my toes too. She was so excited and wanted to show everyone that we matched. Sam was a high school student here in SC that wanted to start a volunteer project here at MUSC last year she decided to start "Sam's Special Spa" she comes in once a week and paints the toes or fingers of little girls in the hospital. So sweet of her to volunteer a day to brighten the day of these little patients. Her mother is in charge of the happy cart here which is a cart that comes around on Thursdays and the kids get to pick a toy to keep. Last week when it came by Abby Grace was asleep so I picked a princess pillow for her, she loved it.



Dr Bradley stopped by before heading out on a much deserved vacation. I tell you what that man is a miracle worker here on Earth. He is so nice and gentle with children and has a great bedside manner. I will never forget our first meeting with him in April 2008 when he told us he'd have to operate on her ASAP. I just get tears in my eyes thinking about what might have been had we not come to MUSC. He is such a special man and will always hold a special place in our hearts. To think that he actually held her heart in his hands amazes me. He truly is using his God given talents to perform miracles here on Earth. Thanks Dr B!!!

Fluid levels have dropped a lot and we are still on track for going home by this weekend. We sure are ready to get back to the family especially since my sister and her family will be down from Toronto for a few weeks.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and support.

3 comments:

Wife of the Pres. said...

Just checking in on y'all. I should be able to call you tomorrow in the AM. Hope I can catch you. I'm so sorry I missed you today. It has been hectic. Add to that, C is working tonight b/c he is still so behind from our trip and trying to help with doctor appts., some unexpected *stuff* and what not.

Anyway, I cannot believe you may be out this weekend! Hallelujah! I know saying *out* sounds like you're breaking free but I know for me and S, we do hit a wall. You'll be amazed how much more she'll heal once home.

She is just so inspiring. Look at her smiling through it all. I know of course you don't take pics of the tears but honestly I doubt I'd smile at ALL if I were theme. The nurses tell me the chest tubes are excruciatingly painful.

I can't wait to hear they are all out. Does she still have one right? S had two of them or maybe three? I can't even remember but I think it was one on each side and then there was the neck line too.

OK, I am going to try and call you after my Mom takes the three big boys out for the morning. I am headed to VCH for our cleft appt. but I should be able to call before we head out/on the way. The two littles are actually most quiet when buckled in their seats.

Love you and sending prayers up all the time. {{{HUGS}}} L

Kristi said...

Praising God along with you for the wonderful staff at MUSC! From the heart doctors down to the sweet volunteers it appears that Abby has been taken care of and well loved!
Praying you will indeed be home for the weekend to spend time with family! Glad the fever passed quickly.

By the way, I like the new look!

lisa said...

Glad her temp is down and you are still on track to go home this weekend. Enjoy your time with your sister and her family.
Lisa